Friday, April 24, 2020

A Springtime Gala for Dolls


Yesterday I co-hosted my first ever virtual instagram party with the amazing @adrian.dollslife

We planned a spring gala, with the idea to boost morale during social distancing, and to give all the instagram fashion doll collectors a reason to pull out all the stops, style their dolls in their most glamorous ensembles, and spend the evening sharing their art with other doll collectors around the world.  We worked on planning the event for weeks, and with input from Adrian's photographer, I created the poster art and invitation above. 

Then, I started worked on outfits for Gus and Lucian. I wanted to create something extra special to do the occasion justice. For Lucian, I decided on a suit, inspired by looks from the Dolce & Gabbana Spring/Summer 2020 show and their 2019 Alta Sartoria show.  



I was a little stumped though, about what to make for Gus, so I did what I always do in that situation, and re-watched a whole bunch of runway shows. I found some inspiration from Dior, Louis Vuitton, and some others, and after some brainstorming with @stovallthedoll and @adrian.dollslife, I settled on a hot-pink suit (something that has been popping up on several runways, with a spray of orchids, inspired by Dior's pre-fall 2020 show, and a wallet chain, inspired by ones from Dior's Fall Winter 2020 collection.  


Designing doll clothes can be quite a process!


Here are Lucian and Gus, preparing for the event:


And here they are, ready to party! I had so much fun crafting each little detail of their outfits, from the crowns down to the shoes. I dug into my jewelry making supplies for tiny gold and silver charms, Followed paper orchid making tutorials on youtube, unraveled scraps of full-sized gold braid to make miniature gold braid.




The party was so much fun, I definitely would like to do something similar, with another theme, next spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment