Saturday, March 21, 2020

Plants and Patinas

A while ago, @thelifeofstovall made me a pair of custom 3D printed planters and a beautiful 3D printed garden bench in the same classically-inspired style. Because each piece was printed in solid gray, I decided to customize them with a patina. To achieve a slightly weathered look, I first used a thin metallic gunmetal gray craft paint as a wash, making sure that it settled in all the recesses of the planters and bench, adding depth, and a subtle sparkle. When they were dry, I washed over all the planes and high spots with matte white acrylic, and finally I dry brushed all the raised details with a thick layer of the white paint.

Gus, here, is demonstrating the process:




To fill each container, I first stuffed it with tissue paper. Next, I clipped some leaves from a spray of artificial foliage, and glued their stems inside of an oversized wood bead. I then twisted clippings, from a faux evergreen wreath, into a ring shape and pushed them into the planter, on top of the tissue paper. Finally, I tucked the wood bead in the center of the planter, and arranged the artificial foliage until I was happy with it. 


Some mini flower pots and paper houseplants, made with the help of a @myfroggystuff tutorial, complete Gus' greenhouse. It looks like a lovely spot to relax with a good book!


No comments:

Post a Comment