Sunday, May 31, 2020

Merman Fins

For the whole month of May, instagram has an ongoing mermaid theme. The concept was started, a couple of years ago, by a group of cartoonists and illustrators. Now #mermay has taken off, and artists and craftspeople of all kinds are participating in the sub-aquatic theme.  

I kicked off my #mermay themed posts, with a photo of Lucian in his merman swimming trunks. Right away, several requests cam in for merman trunks. I only had enough fabric for a couple pairs, so they are very limited editions. I will have to keep my eyes open for more merman fabric - or maybe custom print some of my own for next year. 




A friend on wanted to make a custom merman doll for #mermay, and asked for tips for making a tail. There aren't many 1:6 scale merman tail sewing patterns out there, so I got inspired, and decided to make a pattern for the etsy shop. 

The finished tail, before decoration, and my color reference betta fish. 

Looking through my scrap box, I found a piece of translucent crinkled synthetic gauze material, and thought it would be perfect for some betta-type fins. With blue spandex for the tail, and a little glitter and paint to decorate the fins, I got to work designing a pattern.

Below, is the finished tail, It is probably one of the most whimsical things I have designed yet, and Gus, here, is modeling it with maximum drama!


Here is another view of Gus, chilling in his merman tail and a 2020 @casablancabrand menswear inspired look; complete with a bucket hat and pearls.




No comments:

Post a Comment